Sunday, November 17, 2013

Mighty, Mighty Microbes... (5th Observation)

This week's Microaquarium observation yielded several sightings of a previously unseen (at least to me) work-like organism.  It was large in diameter, and also very long when compared to other organisms in the tank.  The body was encircled by several groupings of fine "hairs," occurring in clusters of 4 that encircled each seam or joint of its body.  At the anterior end it had 2 very long flagella that constantly flapped forward and backward.  Its head or mouth part was nearly tapered to a point. It was actually plainly visible to the naked eye.  The worms were spread along the bottom of the tank.  Most appeared to be near the surface of the sediment layer that had settled at the bottom of the Microaquarium.  I observed 3 of them that were clumped closely together for roughly 45 minutes.  The largest one was the least active, but I was able to watch its transparent organs at work.  Its intestines pulsated rhythmically, and I was actually able to watch other dead organisms passing through the various parts of its body, and even saw them evacuated from the worm.  My inner nerd was totally mesmerized...VERY COOL!

Also making the "Recently Sighted" list this week are several Desmids.  I had commented earlier in the blog about noticing some "green bananas" in the Microaquarium, but this time I spotted 10 to 12 lager desmids.  They were still green in color, but were much longer than the "bananas," and were straight, not bent in the center.  They moved very slowly, and appeared to have the same flagella at each tip like the others had.

Interestingly enough, I only noticed 1 or 2 rotifers this week.  Not sure if the were between generations or nt, but these had been the most abundant organism for the past 2-3 weeks, and now I couldn't find them no matter how much I looked.  However, the number of Bodos in my tank had increased.  They were in almost every frame I had searched in, mostly in the upper region of the tank, not near the sediment surface.  Perhaps they were hunted at that level, or they may just prefer the upper region.

I tried to capture an image of a Dinoflagellate, but was unable to get a focused picture due to its constant movement.  I could clearly make out the groove around it's midsection from the flagella.  It swam in a side to side motion, and moved rather quickly, as I could not get the picture to develop.  Still neat to see.

I believe this was the final opportunity to view the Microaquariums this term.  I was told that these organisms will be added to a small pool maintained by the Biology department behind the Hessler Building.  It's time to see if thee microorganisms can truly adapt to some new surroundings.  GOOD LUCK, little guys!!

No comments:

Post a Comment